22 January 2018
The following hints an.d tips will help you maximise energy efficiency in your home.
Up to 20% of heat lost from a home is lost through the roof. Effective attic insulation can pay for itself within two to three years.
Hot Water Cylinder
A lagging jacket on the hot water cylinder will keep water hotter for longer and pay for itself within a few months.
For a given area of wall or window, a window will allow up to eight times more heat to escape.
As much as one quarter of the heat lost from a house can be lost through the walls. Properly insulating walls can reduce this by two-thirds.
Badly fitting windows and external doors can account for more than one-sixth of heat loss.
Heat loss to the ground depends on several factors, including floor type, whether house is one or two-storey, nature of soil and terraced or detached construction.
- Routine servicing of fuel burning appliances is recommended.
- Install the boiler indoors if possible rather than in an outdoor boilerhouse, thereby utilising heat output from the boiler and from pipe-work.
- Install a balanced flue on an indoor unit to avoid drawing warm air from within the dwelling.
- Install automatic controls such as:
- Good quality room thermostats or thermostatic radiator valves.
- Programmable timer controls for space heating and hot water provision, including advanced optimum start/stop controls or optimisers.
- Separate space heating and hot water circuits with separate timer and thermostatic controls for each.
- Ensure there is effective insulation of heat distribution pipe-work running outdoors, underground or through unheated spaces.